4/27/2008

Daring Bakers April Challenge

Daring Bakers April Challenge
Cheesecake Pops





My ugly pops
Although it was very fun to make these pops they were ugly. I laughed a lot because the weather here is very hot and humid (due to the beginning of the rainy season), when I was making a pop the others fainted so I had to put them in the fridge as soon as I formed the pop, my idea was to make a “chupetero” a pop holder, (as I did in my nephew’s birthday, because it is a tradition here in Venezuela to make chupeteras for kids birthdays), but … you know they did not collaborate. The taste was delicious the texture everything about this cheesecake is perfect and delicious, I combined the pops with Venezuelan ingredients like “dulce de Leche” Caramel milk a tradition here, Venezuelan chocolate, famous around the world and crushed peanut. They were DELICIOUS but the appearance of my pops is definitely not nice and the size is different for each one

The Original recipe:

Cheesecake Pops
Makes 30 – 40 Pops
5 8-oz. packages cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
5 large eggs
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ cup heavy cream
Boiling water as needed
Thirty to forty 8-inch lollipop sticks

1 pound chocolate, finely chopped – you can use all one kind or half and half of dark, milk, or white (Alternately, you can use 1 pound of flavored coatings, also known as summer coating, confectionary coating or wafer chocolate – candy supply stores carry colors, as well as the three kinds of chocolate.)
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
(Note: White chocolate is harder to use this way, but not impossible)
Assorted decorations such as chopped nuts, colored jimmies, crushed peppermints, mini chocolate chips, sanding sugars, dragees) - Optional
Position oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Set some water to boil.
In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and salt until smooth. If using a mixer, mix on low speed. Add the whole eggs and the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well (but still at low speed) after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and cream.
Grease a 10-inch cake pan (not a springform pan), and pour the batter into the cake pan. Place the pan in a larger roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with the boiling water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Bake until the cheesecake is firm and slightly golden on top, 35 to 45 minutes.
Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and cool to room temperature. Cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very cold, at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
When the cheesecake is cold and very firm, scoop the cheesecake into 2-ounce balls and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Carefully insert a lollipop stick into each cheesecake ball. Freeze the cheesecake pops, uncovered, until very hard, at least 1 – 2 hours.
When the cheesecake pops are frozen and ready for dipping, prepare the chocolate. In the top of a double boiler, set over simmering water, or in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, heat half the chocolate and half the shortening, stirring often, until chocolate is melted and chocolate and shortening are combined. Stir until completely smooth. Do not heat the chocolate too much or your chocolate will lose it’s shine after it has dried. Save the rest of the chocolate and shortening for later dipping, or use another type of chocolate for variety.
Alternately, you can microwave the same amount of chocolate coating pieces on high at 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth.
Quickly dip a frozen cheesecake pop in the melted chocolate, swirling quickly to coat it completely. Shake off any excess into the melted chocolate. If you like, you can now roll the pops quickly in optional decorations. You can also drizzle them with a contrasting color of melted chocolate (dark chocolate drizzled over milk chocolate or white chocolate over dark chocolate, etc.) Place the pop on a clean parchment paper-lined baking sheet to set. Repeat with remaining pops, melting more chocolate and shortening (or confectionary chocolate pieces) as needed.
Refrigerate the pops for up to 24 hours, until ready to serve.
Elle – Feeding My Enthusiasms
Deborah – Taste and Tell


24 comments:

Katie B. said...

I love that you used dulce de Leche - I bet it went swimmingly with the cheesecake! Great job!

Amy J. said...

Yum! They look great - good job!

Deborah said...

I think they look great - and dulce de leche sounds wonderful!

Susan said...

I love your description of the fainting pops :-) I can imagine how hard this would be in hot weather, but I think they look great and so glad to hear they tasted wonderful!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great looking pops! Very well done!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jenny said...

Caramel would be a nice addition to these. I think the variety of sizes adds to their character!

Donna said...

LOL...They are NOT Ugly!!! They look Wonderful!!!hughugs

Erin said...

Thanks so much for your comment....

and OH MY GOSH do I love dulce de leche.

Good choice!!!! Great pops!

Christina said...

Yummy, the flavors sound really good!

Don't worry about the pops being different sizes. Mine were, but I kind of like having squares, rectangles, and triangles!

Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

tricia said...

dulce de leche...yum! great idea. i love the square ones. and i think they look great. great enough to eat and that's the main idea, right!? great job.

familiabencomo said...

Your Pops are gorgeous! I know how hot Venezuela can be (celebrated Christmas in shorts & a t-shirt there). I wish I had thought of dulce de leche. Very clever!

xoxox Amy

Faery said...

Oh thank you all for your kind words I love that you liked the Dulce de leche on my pops and that you did not care about the size of the pops, it makes me feel so happy :)

Renee said...

Your pops are beautiful, and I bet the dulce de leche made them decadent!

Swati: Sugarcraft India said...

Delicious Faery...Great job girl!!
I have a surprise for you awaiting at my blog..Do check it out. Enjoy!!

Jacque said...

Mmmm, your topping choices sound delicious! And remember, it's not all about looks, it's more about the taste. Great job!

Sheltie Girl said...

You did a lovely job on your pops. The dulce de leche sounds simply delicious.

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Nuts and dulce de leche . . . fainting pops . . . I think they're pretty sweet! Such a perfect serving size. Dulce De Deche . . . any leftover . . . oh my . . .

SweetDesigns said...

ugly?? really.. I think they look great, I love the dulce de leche ones. Great job!!

Dolores said...

Nothing with dulce de leche is ugly. Nothing. Great job!

Texana said...

Love your half-dips. I thought mine had too much chocolate--can't believe there is ever too much chocolate, but it over powered my pops. Love the dulce e leche idea, too!

Barbara Bakes said...

I think your pops look delicious. I really like the square ones!

Fran Z said...

Oh yours sound wonderful- hard to make in warm weather!

Faery said...

Oh thanks so much I feel so happy that you all fine my pops nice and that you liked the dulce de leche

Tartelette said...

Faery, you can't be serious! These are gorgeous! I love the different shapes and decorations!