1/10/2009

Cachitos

Cachitos *


After Arepas, Cachitos, is the most common breakfast in my country. I did a few to show what a Cachito is, but…as I was a little lazy this morning, I decided to make a big cachito which I called Cachote (big cachito). Cachitos are traditionally filled with ham only but a variation with cheese is also available these days. I made both versions.










Ingredients.

1 cup milk
4 - 5 tablespoons sugar.
¾ tablespoon instant yeast.
½ teaspoon salt (or up to 1 teaspoon).
500 gr all pourpose flour.
½ cup water.
1 whole egg.
1 egg yolk.
2 tablespoons corn oil.
500 gr chopped ham
4 slices of cheese.

Egg wash
1 egg yolk.
1 tablespoon milk or water.
A pinch of salt
Mix all the ingredients .

1- Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar with the yeast in bolw and let rest for 15 minutes
2- Heat the milk with the rest of the sugar and salt.
3- Sift the flour two times add the yeast, whole egg, egg yolk and oil
4- Gradually add the flour and mix very well, then place the dough on the table and knead until it is smooth and elastic, let rest for 1 hour.
5- Knead again to deflate the dough and roll out with a rolling pin, cut triangles and place ham in the wide part of the triangle then roll them as you do for a croissant but do not bend the ends.
6- Place the cachitos on a greased tray and let rise for 40 - 45 minutes or until they double in size
7- Brush the cachitos with the egg wash and bake at 190°C until they golden brown
Eat warm, enjoy!

* if I try to translate this name into English it would be something like little horn, but as it is a proper name I cannot change the name, besides little horn sound a bit ridiculous he he he :)

6 comments:

Audax Artifex said...

Lovely photos of cachitos. I really love the 7th photo of the BIG ONE or Cachote. The egg wash works wonders to make it very brown and shiny.
I always like you postings of your everyday food.

CECIL said...

Oh wow, I am salivating! :D Going to bookmark this recipe!

tartasacher said...

Hola Faery:
Me alegro te haya gustado el bizcocho que he puesto hoy, la verdad es que queda bien vistoso y rico. Un beso y mil gracias. Deliciosos estos cachitos.

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

That looks tasty!

Donna said...

Hahaa...Thanks for checking on me Sweetie!! I'm fine! I posted!!hughugs
PS-These look Wonderful!!!hughugs

Jude said...

Freshly baked stuffed bread is always a crowd pleaser. Yum