3/28/2009

Challah Bread.

Challah Bread.
Part One


The braided bred bug bite me, phew! You have no idea how difficult was to say this aloud, it was like a tongue twister ha ha ha I need to read aloud more often, well braided bread is more difficult to say than to make; Besides my relaxing moment is to get in the kitchen and knead…yes is kind of a therapy. To update you on what is happening in my country: things are going worst, last night after a soft rain there was only a single phase of electric power and the light bulbs were shining like a candle, that was all the light we had for more than four hours then it went off until about 10:30 pm and the weather was so hot…well as I am a smart girl I made some luminarias to have something nice to see and as an “apparatus” to “invent” stories to “entertain” my nephew the cybernetic boy (he is 5 years old and can not stay away from the computer) he did not get bored thanks God and the camera helped me with this task. Another thing due to these power too frequent technical problems the refrigerators and freezer began to produce ice …can you believe?








Ingredients.
8 cups of flour. (my challah needed a kilogram all purpose flour)
2 cups of water.
1 tablespoon of salt.
2 1/2 tablespoons of yeast.
3 eggs.
1/2 cup of honey.
1/4 cup of oil.
An additional egg for egg wash glaze.
Sesame seeds.
1- Mix eggs, honey, oil, water and salt, set side
2- Mix 7 cups of flour with the yeast and add the liquids, add flour as you knead when you have a smooth dough that is a bit sticky like an adhesive tape but do not attach to your hands the dough is ready to rest until it doubles its volume.Place the dough on a floured surface and carefully deflate it, roll to make a long log and cut small portions as much as you want, I cut 8 portions, roll each portion to form logs that are sharp in both ends and fat in the middle. Join three strands together on one end and place the right strand over the middle strand then the left strand over the middle strand and continue like this until all the strand are braided, fold the ends under the bread and place on greased jelly roll pan, let rise until it doubles in volume, bush with the egg wash sprinkle with the sesame seed and bake until it makes a hollow sound when taped on the bottom. Or watch here

6 comments:

Lucy said...

Gorgeous Challah bread! It's one of my favorites to make, in fact I was passing the thought around to mix some up on this rainy day.

Donna said...

Beautiful loaf Sweetie!! And how Pretty it is in Here!! Have a wonderful night!hughugs

Jude said...

The crust looks so nicely browned, and I bet the sesame seeds add crunch and aroma to it. Beautiful!

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

This looks delicious!

Christina said...

This bread really looks amazing. It reminds me of a type of bread I ate growing up. I can taste the softness just by looking at your wonderful pix :-)

Christina

Sue Sparks said...

I love challah bread and yours is gorgeous!