4/05/2009

Venezuelan Empanadas.

Venezuelan Empanadas.
These are so delicious and crispy outside but tender inside, this one of the Venezuelans favorite breakfast or dinner.
You can use the filling you want, like cheese, meat, fish or in my case I filled them with chicken and rice, I chopped some onion, garlic, caper, sweet chili pepper added some cumin, oregano, salt, mustard and tomato paste cook with two tablespoons of oil then added the boiled chicken and boiled rice cook for 5 minutes and the filling was ready.
This post was due for yesterday night but because of the continuous power cuts this poor country is facing I could not “hand in” before, my apologies







Ingredients.
2 cups corn flour.
2 tablespoons wheat all purpose flour.
2 tablespoons corn oil.
2 ¼ warm water.
1 ½ teaspoon salt.
2 tablespoons White or brown sugar. (Optional)
150 gr white cheese, grated. (Optional)
Oil and a frying pan.
One plastic bag (like the ones you use to store food in the refrigerator), cut the bottom and one side of the bag.

1- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and knead very well, let rest 5 minutes.
2- Place your bag on the counter and spread some drops of oil and water on it (do this for every empanada you will make but for the rest use water only). Heat the oil.Make a ball of dough and place it on the prepared bag and with your finger extend the dough to for a disk, place the filling on the dough , fold the upper part of the disk over the lower part to form the empanada, use a bowl (traditional here in my country ) or cookie cutter and cut the dough, place the empanada in the hot oil and make other empanada have it ready when the bottom of the first empanada is golden brown, turn it and place the second empana into the oil, continue like this until you fry all of them.

13 comments:

Donna said...

Are you trying to make me Fatter???Hahahahaaa...These look Wonderful!!! Happy night sweetie!hughugs

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow rocking recipe...Looks yum.

♥Rosie♥ said...

WOW oh WOW these are just outstanding!! Gosh I would love to try these out - slurp...

Rosie x

natalia said...

Ciao Che buone! I'll have to try them soon ! Thanks for visiting and Buona Pasqua a te !

Lucy said...

These empanadas look so good! I've never made them but my friend sends some over now and then, I do enjoy them so.

Theresa said...

Looks good to me.

Chloe Patricia said...

Wonderful receip, thank you for sharing. I have to try these empanadas this weekend. Chloe patricia

Audax said...

empanadas empanadas empanadas I have often wondered what they were. Beautiful job on explaining the process love the cup idea. I hope the power get sorted out for you. Keep happy, yours from Australia Audax

Cooking and the City said...

Wow Faery your empanadas (I love them btw) look great :-)

Anonymous said...

I just came back from venezuela and we had these at the beach all the time. We mostly had just cheese inside. Do you know what kind of cheese i should use? And does one always grade cheese in with the dough? Thanks these look really good.

Faery said...

Anonymous- some say the feta cheese is like our white cheese, but you can use the cheese of your choise, you can add cheese to the dough or not (it is optional) and it won't change the texture of the dough, I added it to my dough to give it the taste of the cheese.
:) thanks for stopping by

Anonymous said...

How many does one batch make?

Faery said...

Hello anonimous, sorry for the delay. It depends on the size of your empanadas with that batch I made 10 big empanadas.