5/10/2009

Happy Mother’s Day

Happy Mother’s Day
The Sad Mother
By Gabriela Mistral

Sleep, sleep, my beloved,
without worry, without fear,
although my soul does not sleep,
although I do not rest.

Sleep, sleep, and in the night
may your whispers be softer
than a leaf of grass,
or the silken fleece of lambs.

May my flesh slumber in you,
my worry, my trembling.
In you, may my eyes close
and my heart sleep.

This is true, I remember how I feel when my nephew Michele is sick; a few days ago he was very sick with fever and pharyngitis. I just wanted to take his place.

This morning, my sister and I went to the store to buy my mom a present she wanted : a black and Decker electric grill, so for mom’s day celebration lunch, the food was very healthy and I made an apple sponge cake without sugar and without butter just for her, for those who prefer not so healthy cake I made and Italian cake very sweet and tasty. My mom is very special (I guess every body says the same thing ) but she loves hand made gifts, so I made a crystal bracelet that kept me awake until 2 am fishing beads and these beads are so clear that I didn’t know where they were or where the hole was, Gosh it was a pain… but she was so happy to see such a “big” gift that it was worth it the effort :) (good girl, god girl)

This is mother’s day celebration at Michele's school last Friday. We had Mariachis too, by the way, when they entered in the school, I almost dropped dead, they scared me to death with that fist loud sound of the trumpet, I was NOT expecting that .... GOSH


My negrito, perfectly suntanned due to looooong playing at his pool.

Michele and his teachers
I LOVE my new muuuug


Apple Sponge Cake

3 eggs.
½ cup corn starch.
¼ cup all purpose flour.
¼ teaspoon baking powder.
½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
4 packages of splenda.
3 apples (peeled, seeded and cut in slices)
Cinnamon to taste.

1- Whisk the eggs until they are pale and foamy, then add the splenda and the vanilla and whisk until the mixture gets a thicker consistency.
2- Sieve the corn starch, flour and baking powder. Add to the eggs with folding movements.
3- Pour the mixture in a greased and floured spring cake pan .
4- Place the apple slices over the mixture and dust with cinnamon.
5- Bake until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

The "big" gift

9 comments:

Rosa said...

Me alegra que hayas tenido un precioso día de la madre.
Un besito wapisima

Audax Artifex said...

What a beautiful gift you made your Mum and I just love the photos of the child - you see happier which is good to hear. Lovely recipe for the healthy apple cake. I really like the decorations on the top of the cake. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

Jude said...

What a lovely post :)

Cooking and the City said...

Faery what a delightful post! the gift you made your Mother looks beautiful as does the food. sweet little boy :-)

♥Rosie♥ said...

A beautiful post Faery. Such a beautiful gift you made your Mum and I just adore the pics of the dear little boy :0)

Lucy said...

Your nephew is truly a cutie and from you photo's a beautiful day was had by all ;-)

What a lovely gift you've made, precious!

XXX's

Sophie said...

The bracelet is very pretty -- and I love the sound of that cake. I love apple cake, but I've never seen a sponge cake version -- I would love to share it with our readers! Please email me at sophie@keyingredient.com if you're interested :).

Donna said...

The bracelet is Gorgeous!! You Did work hard on it!!
He's a BEAUTIFUL boy!!!
Happy night sweetie!hughugs

Theresa said...

What a cute little boy. So adorable. The bracelet is so pretty and I can't wait to try that cake.