8/31/2009

The Daring Bakers August Challenge

The Daring Bakers August Challenge: Dobos Torte

I am so sorry I could not post my challenge before but so many things happened, I am still weak but recovering well, we had a beautiful visit for almost two weeks: my brother and his family came from Valencia, unfortunately they could not stay longer because my brother is a professor at the university and director of … I forgot the name, so he has a lot of responsibilities there.
Aaaand soooo many power cuts sometimes more than two per day, we spent three and a half hours without light today….today, that I finally gathered strength and energy to make my august challenge, when I was about making the filling *PUFF* the light went off not without blinking for a minute before definitely left us in the dark. For that reason one of the two refrigerators got damaged. But look the positive side…Venezuela is the only country in the world that is working hard against the global warming, also this situation helps the thieves to work in better conditions, you know, they have a family to care for. I can’t imagine how happy are the ones who work repairing electric appliances, they have a lot of work to do and only work a few hours a day: when there is power.
I’ll say no more for today, I’m tired and I still have to build a huge poster: LEADER/HERO WANTED, VILLAIN IS TEARING DOWN A COUNTRY.
The recipe here and here


I was so tired that I forgot to make the upper layer with the caramel so I used cookies instead, sorry


The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonfulof Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular DobosTorte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: ExquisiteDesserts from the Classic Caff├ęs of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.
Thank you Lorrain and Angela I loved this Torte

4 comments:

Audax said...

Still feeling weak! Please do not do too much and look after yourself dear friend. And it is great that you had close family over for a while. Lovely work and I just love the cookies covered in caramel nice touch. And the final torta looks smashing and delicious I hope it tasted wonderful. Yes the poster says it all. Marvellous that you are recovering (if slowly). Hope all is well apart from the power cuts and the thieves. ((((Hugs)))) from Audax in sunny and cool Australia.

natalia said...

Ciao ! I really hope strenght is coming back soon ! Your dobos looks so nice with the cookies on top ! I bet their crunchiness was an extra bonus !!

Sue Sparks said...

You're a real trooper for meeting this challenge since you sound like you are still recovering and not completely well. I'm glad your mom was able to help nurse you back to health...moms are the best!

Your torte looks so luscious! Love that first photo:) Great job!

Take care and get well! I hope the conditions in your country improve!

Palidor said...

That looks delicious! You did a great job with all those layers.