8/15/2009

My First Food.

My First Food.


My first food after being sick, yea I know it sounds kind of super dramatic but boy was I sick and what makes me crazy is that this is due to a bad BAD administration (and you could say: ok Faery here you come again talking about politics…), Ok, the town where I live, used to be ruled by a mayor who has the town like a shiny silver cup although he was not someone I like I cannot deny the fact that he took care of everything here but during the last elections and due to electoral magic the mayor that everybody loved LOST the elections and the one who bows to the president and master of this regime, won….”It’s a kind of magic, maaagiic”.
Well this man happen to be the seven plagues of Egypt, uhm you don’t believe me, listen,: all the sanitation trucks are broken there is only one on duty so the garbage is flooding the town, this has brought a plague of mice and rats , all imaginable sizes of crocoraches and colors…,clouds of flies, mosquitoes and those annoying fruit flies (they not only bite fruits).
Also the water is so dirty and filled with mosquito larvae, besides this: the darkness, we have up to three power cuts daily specially at night.
Due to all these things we have systems to double filter the water, mosquito repellents and we keep the house super clean also we take measures of all kinds buuuut…. It hit me…what? The new virus (that I won’t mention because this is a food blog but you are free to imagine), during the 3 first days I lost 7 kilos of weight and two weeks later I still have that filling of “EWW” when I see food, I spent 2 days laying in my bed, did not eat at all and only could have a few sips of water, second day at night my mom made me a chamomile and tilo tea it was so good, next day she gave me Pepsi with lemon and that helped me a lot , that night she made me white rice and I eat 7 teaspoons of it, I felt great, during the next days I began to recover with home remedies because formal or traditional medicine did not work on this virus.
This is the first time I get in the kitchen after that. I made Tostones which are very good when you have stomach illness, chicken breast, salad and rice.
Tostones are very typical in my country
1-Peel the green plantain and cut it in slices of about 2 centimeters, then fry them in very hot oil on both sides until golden.
2- Smash flat them with the help of the bottom of a glass or plate if you don’t have something like this device I show here, then fry again the smashed plantain until just browned.
3- Place them over absorbent paper and sprinkle them with salt.
For the chicken breast
I cut the chicken breast into strips and season with salt, dried oregano, grated garlic and onion and a few drops of wine vinegar let rest and then cover each strip with corn starch and cook with a few drops of corn oil.
For the salad I cut tomato and onion and added dried oregano, corn oil and whine vinegar.
My drink was Schweppes and orange juice from our tree.









Looks loke gold

See the burnt ones, they are just for me because they are so good for my stomach.



6 comments:

Audax said...

Sorry to hear you have been sick BUT I'm so so glad that are over the worst of it now. Yes when I'm sick I like to have flat orange soda drink it seems to make me feel better. Wow that dish looks so exotic and healthy. I love that machine you use to flatten the fried banana. Also your photo of the golden ring is wonderful. Thanks for the very kind words you let on my blog.

Maybe you should buy some plants that repell insects:-

Rosemary - This garden herb also has an oil that repels mosquitoes. While they are attractive plants that both repel mosquitoes and can add interest to your cooking, they are truly tropical plants that are not hardy in cold climates. You can, however, grow rosemary in a pot and take it inside in the winter.

Marigolds - have a particular smell that many insects and humans find objectionable. They are a good plant for repelling mosquitoes as well as insects that can attack vegetable plants and aphids. Marigolds are annuals with bright flowers that range from lemon yellow to dark oranges and reds.

Yes it seems that the change of mayor has been a bad thing for sure hope things get better. XOXOXOXOXOXOXOX Audax

Donna said...

Oh Sweetie!!! I'm SO sorry you were ill!! And the town!! I really worry about you and your family staying there!!!
Hope you are feeling better now though...Much love to you!!!hughugs

Lucy said...

Oh Faery, I am so sorry to hear that you've been ill, and happy to hear you're on the road to recovery. Certainly hoping the situation has gotten better and that the mayor has corrected the problems.

Your plantain's look so good, they're my daughters favorite, I will surprise her with these real soon ;-)

Lucy

natalia said...

Ciao ! I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles ! I hope tostones got you better ! They look so delicious !!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh I am SO sorry to hear you've been sick and all that is going on in your town! I do hope the mayor has everything under control now and things are better. Take care sweetie thinking of you and sending huge hugs your way!!

Lucy said...

Hoping that you're continuing to feel better ;-)