9/27/2009

Daring Bakers' September Challenge

Vols-au-Vent

As always I made my challenge two days before the posting date, It was very difficult to complete the challenge this time, I have bronchitis and after two days with fever I fell terrible but this is one of my favorites pastries so I HAD TO do it, as you can see in my previous post I made one of my personal recipes for a flaky dough at the beginning of this month, so I was “in shape” for the challenge…That’s what I thought…the weather was incredible hot, so hot that I thought to myself there will be an earthquake or there will be a storm, I was right in my second prediction and it was like a tornado, our dear soursoup tree felt. my nephew and I were watching the storm in the hallway that is next to that tree and thanks to his dear guardian angel it did not land over the house because we were one and a half meters from the tree, when I realize what could happen to him I almost faint, then “where is Lila?” our dog…she was in her house far from the tree, Then “and The wall?” it was intact, definitely God was watching over us. My mom was in her bedroom so she did not see the tree falling, when I told her, she began to cry and she thanked the tree for shadow, fruits and the protection it kindly gave us (it was a shield for stones thrown from the street, the hallway has big glass windows, so it is a temptation for kids). Well that is a pity it was loaded with fruits…I loved that tree.
I have to say that I like this recipe, although when I read the ingredients I knew that was too much fat for the kind of flour I buy here in my town (it is like a starch) so I used 400 gr instead of 454 gr and it was a bit fatty to my taste, the result : it had many layers and it was crunchy, but greasy and I am sure is due to the ingredients I used and not due to recipe, because the pics in the forum shows beautiful creations, I will try this recipe again but lowering the amount of fat in it.
Thanks Steph for this wonderful challenge, I learnt a lot and even though I was weak for the fever (and causing trouble to my dough) I enjoyed every second of it, thank you, for the recipe click here
The September 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Steph of A Whisk and a Spoon. She chose the French treat, Vols-au-Vent based on the Puff Pastry recipe by Michel Richard from the cookbook Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan.




9 comments:

Pamela said...

Wow, you got a lot of height on your puff pastry!! I thought my pastry tasted a little oily as well, but I've never had it before so maybe that is how it is supposed to be.
Great Job!

Wic said...

oh you poor little thing, I hope you get better soon.
And think how delicious they look. what can you bake if you are a 100% fit?

Lis said...

Aww sweetie, I'm so sorry you weren't feeling well and for the loss of your tree. :( But I'm so relieved it didn't hit your house!

I hope you are feeling better!!

Your pastries turned out so pretty. As do the filled flaky dough pastries below. You're a wonderful baker! :)

Hugs!
xoxoxoxox

Lucy said...

Aww, I too am so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well yet and thank God you & your family were spared.

Your pastry looks awesome!!

Would you believe the 2nd bottle came with problem too.. The product wass fermenting within the bottle. When I open the extract came foaming out, what a mess! I contacted the manufacture & they are sending me a jar.

Keep well xoxox's!

Audax said...

Bronchitis and a high fever with storms and trees falling over – my O! my you live an exciting life as compared to mine. Firstly look after yourself it is no good doing all the work in the house and making yourself ill; you have to be healthy so you can make everybody comfortable. I know you are are doing too much about the house and doing too much worrying. Yes God is looking after you it seems thank him. Your vols-au-vents really did rise didn't they and wonderful looking filling you made for them. They are so high and made in all that heat Bravo to you. Well done and thanks for the very nice comments you left on my blog.

OBTW your flaky pastry looks divine could you email the recipe to me sorry to hear that people are passing your recipes off as their own sounds weird to me why wouldn't they say you did them. Strangely weird. I have to admit the flaky pastry look amazing almost as high as the puff pastry. I would like to give it a try I won't post the recipe but I will say it came from you I would like to use it for Aussie meat pies seems like it would be most excellent and a savoury pastry roll as well.

Hope you get better soon. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

Audax said...

Sorry forgot to add ((((hugs)))) and best wishes *XOXOXOXOXO* Audax

Donna said...

I'm SO Sorry you were ill sweetie!!! And such a storm!! SO glad no one was hurt...bless the tree!!(((HUG)))

Donna said...

PS-The food looks Great!! And I love your music!!

Sue Sparks said...

Your vols-au-vent look very nice and puffy! Good job! I hope you're feeling better! Take care:)