1/24/2010

Buñuelos de Yuca, a Venezuelan Dessert.
(Gluten free)


I have been thinking about my granny Ramona, no one can cook like her, everything she cooked was delicious none of us has the same touch. My cousins, sister, mom and I were talking about her today, she died at age 103 years old (maybe more and she was so clear and still making things by herself) but she looked like a 70 years old woman and has the spirit of a teenager, she raised her 4 kids alone, her daughters four kids (she left) and her ex husband’s four kids (when their mother died), her day began when it was still night , washing clothes (no washing machine), cooking, cleaning for others (she hired some rooms in her house) and taking care of 12 kids, she gave shelter to all those “poor creatures of God” who knocked at the door including politicians that were running away from the dictator of that time. Her only husband was my grandfather who left her when my mom was born. She was poor and her favorite phrase was “God will provide” and He always did.
My Grandmother is my Hero. Now, when I think of Amelia Earhart (Whom I admire a lot) I say “but she only flown a plane”.
These Buñuelos are delicious but never like her buñuelos, although she told us her secrets for cooking and I try hard it is not the same; I guess she was an angel and everything she touched was blessed with tons of love, and it is the flavor, scent and texture in her food that we love so much . Te quiero mucho abuelita


The yuca roots, I worked hard to get this pic, look at the groun it is too dry.
The yuca leaves
The yuca roots

place knife on top of the yuca and twist the knife a bit the yuca piece will split





The Panela, soft and creamy.

Buñuelos
Yuca and cheese sticks

Raw ingredients for the guasacaca


mmmm...

Buñuelos.
Ingredients:
800 gr boiled and mashed yuca. (mandioca, tapioca)
1 large egg.
¼ teaspoon salt.
3 tablespoons sugar.
Corn oil for deep frying.
Corn starch for coating the buñuelos.
For the Syyrup
1 cup sugar.
1 ½ cups water.
60 gr panela (brown sugarloaf)
Anise seeds, (or cloves, or cinnamon), I used star anise.
1- Cut the yuca in small pieces, and boil them until they are very soft. Let cool.
2- In a bowl place the mashed yuca, sugar, salt and egg, mix well.
3- Heat the oil on a medium flame.
4- In a small bowl place three tablespoons of corn starch, and drop one spoonful of the mashed yuca, turn to coat the other side and with your hands form a patty and place it in the hot oil, when it is light golden brown turn the patty, when it is golden brown on both sides place on a strainer lined with absorbent paper. Continue until you use the entire mashed yuca.
5- For the syrup place all the ingredients in a sauce pan and allow to boil until the consistency looks like cough syrup

Yuca and Cheese Sticks with Guasacaca.


I only use half of the mashed yuca to make buñuelos, to the other half I added 1 ½ cups white cheese, grated. Following the procedure to coat the buñuelos a made stick and fried them.
To accompany these yucca and cheese sticks I made a guasacaca, which is a raw sauce made with green bell pepper, sweet chili, onion, green onion, parsley, coriander, cumin, oregano, salt, corn oil, vinegar or lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, soya sauce and a bit of mustard, place all the ingredients in the blender and you decide the texture of the sauce

3 comments:

Donna said...

Everything looks Delicious!!! Granny Ramona sounds like she was a wonderful woman!!
Those Buenolas(sp) look WONDERFUL!!
hughugs

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, I enjoy meeting new visitors. Your photos are fantastic.

That was a lovely tribute to your granny. She sounds like a remarkable woman.

CJ xx

Anonymous said...

Gracias por las recetas y las fotos. Me recuerda mi nines. Tengo que hacerlas pronto ;)
Pedro