1/27/2010

Nanaimo Bars

The Daring Bakers January Challenge:
Nanaimo Bars

As I don’t manage English like a native speaker I wondered this question: Cooking from scratch or scratching to cook?. I don’t know if it is a valid expression in English but in Spanish it is.
The challenge for this month was to find the ingredients IN my house, coconut trees, refrigerator cabinets etc, fortunately I had almost everything…Why? Because the government decided to close another bank but keeping the savings for dark purposes because we don’t know what are they doing with everybody’s saving accounts money, this is not the first bank that has suffered this “procedure” the irony here is that the same day the bank closed (at midnight, as always with this government) I deposited all the money there before noon after queuing for two hours and half, my brother send us enough money but we can only spend in necessary things because we don’t know how long will this take.
*sigh* and another *sigh* I found this challenge really delicious and easy BUT I made a mistake...I added the cocoa to the crumbles so I had to sieve the crumbs to keep the steps as described in the recipe. My family and friends loved the crackers but as I did not have sorghum flour I substituted it for a cup of corn starch, I also added a layer of guava marmalade that was very tangy I love to combine guava and chocolate in my humble opinion it is delicious. I will make these Nanaimo bards often they are simply fabulous.
Thank you so much Lauren
The January 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Lauren of Celiac Teen. Lauren chose Gluten-Free Graham Wafers and Nanaimo Bars as the challenge for the month. The sources she based her recipe on are 101 Cookbooks and www.nanaimo.ca.




My mistake
crumble with cocoa








7 comments:

Lauren said...

You are so welcome! Your bars look amazing =D. Simply wonderful job on my challenge!

kristenly said...

ooh they look delicious! well done. :-)

Lucy..♥ said...

I've been seeing Nanaimo bars lately and they do look good, I should try them as I have never had them... and yours look just grand!

It's cooking from scratch, meaning not from a boxed mix. ;-)

Marcellina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcellina said...

Your Nanaimo Bars with additional guava marmalade!I hope all your issues with the banks are sorted. We don't know how lucky we are until we hear about someone elses life. Thanks for popping over to my blog.

Donna said...

Oh MY!! And ME on a diet!!!Hahahaa...hughugs

Joy said...

I would say "cooking from scratch" or "itching to cook" :)
One being that you are cooking from raw ingredients and the other meaning you are desperate to cook! :)

Love your Nanaimo bars - they look delicious and I have never tried Guava Marmalade but it sounds amazing! :)